Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Casualties

The casualties are not always clear. Sometimes the wounds that do the most damage are the ones below the surface, below skin, deeper than the physical - cutting into our psyche. Sometimes the casualties are those things that are beyond the actual conflict. Like the children hiding in the wings of a divorce, the family that’s taken away by a drunk driver, the financial downfall of an economic system that affects homeowners all over. The casualty of words in red and blue that scream and scream at each other endlessly with no resolution in sight.

There are casualties everywhere.

So, how do we live without adding to this pile of struggle, tragedy, hurt that we may not even see?

Be kind.

Take a moment and think about your actions.

Live a life that tries to give back instead of always taking.

I don’t think this is going to erase the casualties but it might ease some of the hurt - or just keep some of the hurt from actually happening. If we instead try to find ways to edify, there will be less moments with people left laying on the floor in a puddle of anxiety, loss, sadness.

We may not be able to take away the hurt in the world but we damn well can make it less. I firmly believe this. Yes, the cynic that I am believes that we can make a difference - on a grassroots level.

Listen to those around you. Sometimes they may be screaming in the softest voice you will ever hear.

Be willing. Be willing to lend a hand even when it might be a dirty hand you’re reaching out to.

Be compassionate. I struggle with this one. Other than my kids, those close to me, I can sometimes just be a turd. I need to be better at trying to heal instead of letting my words, my actions cause more hurt.

Some of those casualties take years to unpack and to start mending. So start now.

Take a moment and try to find some kind of hope. I know a place that gives a lot of hope. It’s the one place that helps me move forward on days when I just don’t want to.

At the end of my life I want to be able to look back at all the carnage that I’ve caused, and hope I’ve spent the last 20 to 30 years of my life just trying to make the world better instead of leaving a path of destruction.

At least that’s my plan.

One step at a time.


~ Peace

The Burtle 

No comments:

Post a Comment